German Research Chair “Mathematics and its Applications”
The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation is announcing a research chair, under the programme financed by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) entitled “German Research Chairs”, at the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) in Muizenberg, South Africa.
The research chair is designed to help strengthen mathematical higher education and research in Africa, promote networking between AIMS South Africa and German higher education institutions and support networking amongst the various AIMS centres in Africa.
The chair holder will simultaneously be affiliated to a university in South Africa. The research chair will receive funding of up to 835,000 euros for initially six years.
Please see the German Research Chair in South Africa page for complete information, including details how to apply. The deadline for applications is 15 May 2023.
Invitation to Apply
We invite you to apply for the German Research Chair in “Mathematics and its Applications” at the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) in South Africa if you:
- have completed your doctorate and established an internationally outstanding research record in mathematics and its applications
- have several years of experience in research, teaching, and supervising students and, ideally, doctoral candidates
- conduct application-relevant research into topics with the potential to contribute to the development of the African continent
- would like to initiate academic collaborations with colleagues at German higher education institutions
- are willing to relocate to, live and work in South Africa for the duration of the funding period.
Resident Researcher in Machine Learning
The African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) South Africa is looking to hire a resident researcher to join its vibrant research centre. As a Resident Researcher, you will develop innovative machine learning techniques and advance scientific research. You will have the chance to collaborate with peers within AIMS and foster your own national and international network. We’re looking for an enthusiastic and ambitious researcher with a passion to advance interdisciplinary machine learning research, be it theoretical or applied. Our machine learning research at AIMS focuses on enabling scientific discovery in various fields, notably ecology, and the Resident Researcher is welcome to form part of that research community.
What we are looking for:
- Ph.D. in machine learning, computer science or related field.
- A track record of research and scientific discovery, including publications related to machine learning.
- An ability to communicate research to scientific and public audiences.
Experience in developing, debugging and publishing research code.
What you will do:
- You will lead and pursue a long-term ambitious research agenda related to machine learning, including choosing impactful research problems and autonomously carrying out long- and short-running projects.
- You will share research findings clearly and efficiently both internally at AIMS and externally to the research community and public, verbally and in writing.
- You will enjoy working in a multi-cultural pan-African environment, 50 metres away from Cape Town’s #1 surf spot. (You will promise not to leave your surfboard in our research centre!)
If you love making connections between people and ideas, and if you love starting new things, this job is for you. There are opportunities to participate in activities related to AIMS and the research centre. If you enjoy scientific freedom, this job is for you. AIMS has a social mission. If you are excited about the idea of advancing machine learning in Africa, this job is for you. If, along the road, you publish in top-tier journals and conferences, we will celebrate with you.
Duration of the position:
- Five (5) years, with a possibility of renewal. Note that this is not a remote position, and the incumbent will have to be present at AIMS South Africa for the duration of the appointment.
To apply, please e-mail the below documents in three
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Cover letter detailing your relevant experience and planned research agenda
- Proof of Ph.D. completion
There is no application deadline, and the position will be filled when a suitable candidate is found.
Questions about the position may be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DISCLAIMER: AIMS South Africa reserves the right to disqualify ineligible, incomplete and/or inappropriate applications. AIMS also reserves the right not to make an appointment to the position as advertised. Only successful applicants will be contacted.