Institute Partners Programme
AIMS South Africa has a Partnership Programme and invites institutes and academic departments to support our work by joining this programme.
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Depts of Mathematics, Physics and the Graduate College)
Information about the programme
1. The basic model:
- Partnership is open to individual departments (university colleges or schools) but
also to other organizational entities.
- Partners pay annual dues in exchange for specified benefits and privileges.
- Partnership agreements are approved by the Director of AIMS South Africa.
- An annual partners meeting will be held. Partners will be invited to nominate a representative to attend this meeting. These meetings will be held via videoconferencing.
- Partners pay annual dues on the order of $5K for individual departments or $15K for colleges/schools/institutions
- Partners agree to waive the application fees for AIMS graduates who apply to PhD programmes at Partner Institutions
- Half of the dues will be earmarked for use by the partner at AIMS for a fixed period of time (2 years), after which control passes to AIMS.
- Partners’ benefits include the following:
- All or partial expenses for Partner members visiting AIMS will be paid from the dues fund.
- Course and workshop proposals from Partner members will be incorporated by AIMS South Africa where possible.
- Partners will receive regular AIMS- South Africa newsletters and annual reports.
- Partners will be listed on the AIMS-South Africa website and in AIMS annual reports.
- Information about the Partner’s graduate programmes will be given prominence.
- Partners will nominate a representative to attend the annual meeting of AIMS Partners.
- Graduate students from Partner universities will be encouraged to apply for AIMS tutorships.
- The Partners Programme will be advertised on the AIMS South Africa website.
3. Benefits for Partners:
- Access: Faculty from partner bodies will receive special consideration when applying to take advantage of opportunities provided by AIMS, namely to:
- Teach 3-week courses
- Organise or attend workshops
- Visit as a researcher
- Publicity: Partners will be named and acknowledged on AIMS South Africa and promotional material.
- Access to the AIMS network. AIMS has an expanding network of ties to leading institutions and academics in South Africa and the rest of the continent.
- Recruitment opportunities: graduate programs at partner bodies will be able recruit from a pool of Africa’s most talented students.
4. Benefits for AIMS South Africa:
- Funds: financial contributions through partnership dues will support the AIMS South Africa mission
- A network of supporters: not only will participating departments and institutions form the base of a support network in the United States and elsewhere, but their participation in the Partners programme will provide concrete evidence of their support.
5. Contact details
For further information on the AIMS partnership programme please contact Ms Lynne Teixeira firstname.lastname@example.org.