The African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) is an innovative, pan-African network of centres of excellence for post-graduate education, research and outreach, which has achieved global recognition since opening its first centre in South Africa in 2003.
AIMS South Africa, located in Muizenberg, invites applicants for the position of Finance Manager, to perform the full financial management function of the organisation. This is a full-time, two year contract position with the possibility of extension.
- Lead and manage the finance team
- Ensure effective financial/accounting policies and procedures, developing and implementing best practice finance and administrative systems
- Manage and prepare accurate financial and quantitative reports including narrative reports
- Manage, prepare and review monthly and annual financial statements
- Lead and oversee the preparation of annual budgets, activity based workplans, programme budgets, ad hoc special purpose budgets and proposals
- Grant management, compliance and donor reporting as per grant agreement requirements
- Liaise with various role players, both locally and abroad
- Manage restricted and unrestricted funds
- Ensure that separate cost centres (programmes) and systems are in place to monitor spending against budget and planned performance deliverables
- Prepare and assist with external audits
- Liaise with auditors and preparing year-end AFS and audit packs
- Manage investments, assets registers, insurance coverages and claims
- Maintain contracts database
- Manage all property related matters, including acquisitions, leases, disposals and appointments of outside consultants as and when required
- Manage, prepare and present financial reports at board meetings (bi-annually)
- Ensure statutory compliance
- Perform other duties, as and when requested, in support of team goals
For more information please view the full job description here.
Commencement of duties: 1 September 2018 or as soon as possible thereafter
Closing Date: 22 August 2018
Enquiries: Prof. Barry Green – firstname.lastname@example.org
Prospective candidates must submit a detailed CV, together with the names of at least two referees and a covering letter motivating their application to: The Director, AIMS South Africa, 6 Melrose Road, Muizenberg, 7945, or electronically to email@example.com
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete. AIMS South Africa reserves the right not to make an appointment, to re-advertise or to extend the deadline for applications.
AIMS will consider all applications in terms of its Employment Equity Plan, which acknowledges the need to diversify the demographic composition of the staff corps, especially with regard to the appointment of suitable candidates from the designated groups.
All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in South Africa.
Postdoctoral Fellowship in Data Science
Applications are invited for the DAAD funded postdoctoral fellowship in Data Science at AIMS South Africa under the supervision of Dr Bubacarr Bah, the German Research Chair for Data Science. The research area will be Data Science in a very broad sense, see details here. Applications will be submitted through the DAAD portal found here.
PLEASE NOTE: In recognition of the higher cost of living in South Africa compared to other Sub-saharan African countries, the salary offered by DAAD will be topped-up by AIMS South Africa and the amount of top-up will be negotiated with the candidate.
Vacancies in the AIMS network
Details of vacancies at AIMS-NEI and the other AIMS Institutes can be found on the AIMS-NEI website