Data Science Workshop
This workshop is organised by Dr Bubacarr Bah, the German Research Chair of Mathematics with specialization in Data Science at AIMS South Africa. It will be hosted at AIMS South Africa from 22 to 27 May 2017 and will introduce participants to the mathematical underpinnings, computational challenges, and applications of Data Science. The computation will focus on a selection of Machine Learning algorithms using the Julia programming language. Finally, the applications will give participants the opportunity to mathematically conceptualize problems and eventually use computing tools to solve these problems. Besides, there would be motivational talks given by invited speakers on their work that involved the use of Data Science. There will be a session on the basics of data visualization.
The participants of the workshop are expected to be MSc and PhD students from South African universities with an interest in Data Science.
- Dr Bubacarr Bah, German Research Chair at AIMS South Africa
- Prof. Peter Grindrod, Mathematical Institute, Oxford University, UK
- Dr Vukosi Marivate, Data Scientist and Senior. Researcher at CSIR MDS
- Dr Franck Kalala Mutombo, Head of Mathematics & Computer Science Dept, University of Lubumbashi
- Dr Hans Georg Zimmermann, Senior Principal Research Scientist, Siemens, Germany
- Mathematical underpinnings of Data Science
- Unsupervised and Reinforcement Learning
- Shallow Feed-Forward Neural Networks
- Recurrent Neural Networks
- Data Visualization
- Hands-on implementation of algorithms in Julia
- Talks on selected applications of Data Science
All applicants to do an Online Registration
Since we expect the workshop to be heavily oversubscribed it is important to include a brief rationale for what you hope to gain from attending and why you think we should choose you.
Administration and logistics – firstname.lastname@example.org